Holi is just round the corner and most of us can’t curb our enthusiasm. However, one aspect that most of us fail to pay attention to is that this festival has a significant effect on our canine members.
These colours can actually cause a lot of damage to our pet dogs. Harmful chemicals in colours can take a serious toll on your pet. It is extremely important to understand that some breeds of dogs are more susceptible to the damage than others. Puppies, older dogs and short hair coat dogs are more predisposed to falling victim to these colours than long hair coat breeds, because sparsely coated regions of body are commonly affected by these colours.
Most dog owners feel that as long as they use dry colours on their pets, there’s no harm. The presence of lead, which acts as an accumulative poison, makes these colours a high-risk material for pets. Inhalation of the coloured powder may also cause nasal irritation and possibly respiratory allergy or infection. Pet parents also need to know that most dogs get paranoid when you rub colours on them, since it very often gets into their eyes and nose, making them very uncomfortable. They also tend to lick their body, and the taste of dry colours makes them prone to throwing up. Some breeds are very sensitive that their skin gets rashes because of the dry colours.
Pet owners should keep their pets away from children who tend to throw water balloons at their pet. If a dog gets hit in the eye, it could cause complications. But in view of the circumstances, dog owners must avoid taking their dogs to places where they are likely to be the target of such insensitive play. Parents should also teach their kids not to use colours and other harmful sunstances on pets.
Most dog-lovers don’t really enjoy anything until they share it with their pets. But we must take into account that sweets are not easily digested by canines. Food rich in butter, cream and sugar can affect their digestion.